You guys, I ran my first relay ever last weekend! One more item to check off my Bucket List before I turn 30 and I had some incredible memories. I ran the Ragnar Relay Northwest Passage 2013 – 196 miles from Blaine to Langley, WA!
I will elaborate more on my next post, but wanted to share my recap as briefly as possible so I can remember everything! These will be in bulleted form.
- Ran with the best team ever, the Oiselle team! #Partylikeaflockstar. Official Time: 28:11:15.2
- We placed 3rd in the Open Women’s Division!
- I was in Van 1 with Sarah, Nolana, Morena, Lauren, and Andrea. So much fun bonding with them and they really helped me push through in all my runs!
- The rest of the team in Van 2: Laurel, Sophia, Julie, Paulette, Natty, Ashley
- I promise to write more – but seriously, my team is super fast, funny, motivating, and overall AWESOME!
How to train:
- Be comfortable with the distances you’re running. Train for those distances or even try double runs if you can. I did not do any doubles, but I wish I did!
- Train with the fuel you’ll be bringing including hydration belts, Gu, food, etc.
- Train in the hours you may be running – a late run may not be a bad idea!
What I packed for Ragnar Relay – Clothes:
- 3 Oiselle Shorts
- 3 Oiselle tanks
- 2 Oiselle tanks just in case
- 3 pairs of clean socks
- 2 Oiselle hats
- Fuel Belt
- Handheld water bottle
- Oiselle Lesley Knickers
- Oiselle Trials Hoodie
- Running shoes
- Reflective vest
- Blinky lights
What I packed for Ragnar Relay – Food and Bev:
- PBJ gluten free sandwiches
- Picky Bars
- GF pretzels
- GF pop tarts
Lessons learned from Ragnar Relay:
- Have fun, have fun, have fun! Whether you get no sleep or you get injured like me (shin splints), make the best of it and run the best you can.
- Pack in advance in case you forget anything the day before the race. Make sure you research what to pack and ask your team members what to pack.
- Don’t overpack – especially food. You won’t eat them all!
- Take as much photos as possible – I wish I did! Thank goodness Sarah in Van 1 took amazing photos!
- Carry KT tape in case you get injured
FULL RECAP TO COME!